Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Best Teriyaki Sauce

I LOVE good teriyaki sauce. I hate store bought teriyaki sauces... they are either too thick or too sweet... or both. I love thinner sauce with lots of different flavors mixed in, like minced garlic, some ginger, and a little bit of spice like cayenne or red pepper flakes... I found a great looking teriyaki sauce recipe on food network, by Tyler Florence. I added 1/2 chopped yellow onion (instead of scallion) and tiny pinches of cayenne and red pepper flakes to the recipe but you may choose not to. I marinaded 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin in the sauce for 20 minutes and made teriyaki burgers. The only thing I was missing was some fresh cut pineapple... But still... the burgers turned out fantastic... and juicy!! Mmmm... You can also use this sauce recipe for grilled chicken, flank steak, and tri-tip. Yum!

Teriyaki Sauce
Adapted from Tyler Florence's Recipe

Ingredients:

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Juice of 2 fresh oranges
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 cup scallion or yellow onion chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
pinch of cayenne and red pepper flakes

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour. May also be used as a great marinade for chicken, shrimp, beef, or burgers.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. While those burgers and the sauce probably taste fabulous, my eye is drawn to those delectable buns. Are those homemade? Are they from a bakery? I can just imagine the nice crunch with the soft bread underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea! I never thought of making my own!

    ReplyDelete