Friday, August 7, 2009

Blueberry Yogurt Bread

I love blueberries! Whenever I go to Costco, I am tempted to buy a huge box of them. I don't always buy them though because I always come up with lots of delicious things that I could make with them. By delicious things, I mean desserts. Then my effort in losing weight is going to...fail. But this time, I gave in. I bought them thinking I would just eat them for snacks and maybe for blueberry pancakes.... But when I saw this recipe on Blogchef, I couldn't resist. I had to try it, didn't I? It was phenomenal. Perfectly sweet and delicious. The combination of both blueberry and lemon flavors gives a very nice sweet and tangy taste. Oh and it smells great AND adicting, too. So be warned. :-)

Blueberry Yougurt Bread
Adapted from Blogchef with a slight change

1 1-/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon flour (for blueberries)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
3 extra large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups blueberries (fresh of frozen)
1/3 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)


Direction:

Grease and flour a 8 ½ x 4 ¼ x 2 ½ inch baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In bowl mix 1 ½ cups flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.

In another bowl whisk together yogurt, eggs, sugar, lemon zest, oil and vanilla extract. Slowly mix the wet and dry ingredients together into one bowl.


Lightly toss blueberries in 1 tablespoon of flour to coat, and fold them gently into the batter. Pour the batter into your baking pan (I used a bundt cake pan) and bake for 50-60 minutes or until done. Stick a tooth pick in the loaf and if it comes up clean, it’s done.


While the loaf is baking cook 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.


When the loaf is done allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes, and place on a cooling rack. When the loaf is still warm pour the lemon-sugar mixture over it and allow it to soak in. Allow to fully cool.



Mmmm... Yummy! Enjoy!!


7 comments:

  1. Looks de-lish! I love the effect of the cool mold ring, too. I need to get one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really yummy. It's like lemon cake but with blueberries. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks super moist! I'll have to try but I will sub out the blueberries since I don't like them (I know, blasphemy) they are so good for you and I wish I like them. Maybe raspberries for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna-

    I understand. I am not a huge fan of blueberries myself. But the bread was amazing! I'll bet raspberries will be very good too. Let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blueberry cake looks so good! I really like baked blueberry cakes like this especially when combined with the lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sook, you really have a grogeous blog here! Love all the breads you made... looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete