Friday, July 31, 2009

Navajo Fry Bread

Navajo fry bread is Native American version of flat bread. It is soft and very tasty. It's kind of like homemade tortillas but puffier and thicker. (It is similar to Indian baked flat bread - Naan but still a little different.) My roommates and I once made this delicious bread in college when we invited over bunch of boys! Yes, we were all trying to impress them! I usually use these fry bread for taco. It is delicious!! It was my husband's first experience with Navajo taco and he loved it!

Navajo Fry Bread
Adapted from Betty Crocker

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons firm butter
2/3 cup warm water
Vegetable oil

Direction:

In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter, using pastry blender until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl. Gather into a ball, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.

In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat 1 inch oil to 400 degrees F. Divide dough into 6-12 equal parts (depending on how big you want it). On lightly floured surface, roll each part into 6-inch circle. Let rise a few minutes.

Make a hole about 1/2 inch in diameter in center of each circle. Fry circles in oil about 1 minute on each side, turning once, until puffed and golden; drain on paper towels. Serve warm. (If you're making taco with it, top it with taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream.)


Enjoy!!

6 comments:

  1. this looks wonderful, a lot like naan and you don't need a tandoor to make it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's definitely easier to make these than Naan. It only takes about 45 minutes to make these too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so good! There is nothing better than fresh made flat bread and this is one I want to try. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy-

    I agree with you. I have been looking for other flat bread recipes, too. I hope you get to try this one though. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had Navajo tacos before, but never made homemade bread. I had only done it with premade refrigerated biscuits and rolled them out and cooked them in a frying pan. Nice to have a homemade way to do it if I don't have the premade dough around. Thanks, Sook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a native american foreign exchange student when I was a kid and she used to make fry bread. I've always wanted to make it...and now I can, thanks to you!!!

    ReplyDelete