Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cake

This delicious, yet very simple-to-make chocolate chip cake recipe is from Melanie's My Kitchen Cafe blog. She has so many great recipes. I don't know how many recipes I have bookmarked so far. I have tried several of her recipes and they always turn out so great! Well, this cake is very unique. First of all, I had never made a cake using sour cream or chocolate chips. I love chocolate chips so when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. After making it, my husband and I thought it would go great with hot chocolate. When you try it, you will know what we mean. The cake is very moist, which is great, because a lot of homemade cakes I have tried tend to be dry. So if you want to try something sweet, but not too sweet, unique and yummy, try this recipe.

Chocolate Chip Cake
Adapted from My Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:

Cake Batter:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sour cream
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Middle & Top:
cinnamon sugar (I keep my cinnamon and sugar in a glass shaker so I didn't measure exactly how much I used - a guesstimate would be 2 tablespoons for each layer)
1 bag chocolate chips, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 if using a glass pan). Grease a 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl combine all of the cake batter ingredients. Mix for 1 minute at low speed; mix 3 minutes at medium speed. Pour 1/2 of batter into greased pan. Generously sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over batter making sure to get the corners and then sprinkle with 1/2 bag of chocolate chips. Pour remaining cake batter on top and spread across bottom layer. Repeat with cinnamon and sugar and chocolate chips. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs (don't overbake or cake will be dry!).

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks great. I have yet to meet a cake I did not like!

    ReplyDelete