Sunday, June 7, 2009

Skewered Vegi's

I try REALLY hard to eat more vegetables... I used to eat lots and lots of vegetables when I lived in Korea but that's because my mom always made yummy vegi side dishes all the time!! Well, now that I live in America (which really shouldn't give any excuses for not eating vegetables anyway), I eat a lot less vegetables, which means I rely too much on my vitamin pills to get all the nutrition I need to get through the day... So I have to be really creative to make vegetables sound appetizing. So when I go grocery shopping, I go crazy over these fresh looking vegetables, thinking this week, I am definitely cooking more vegetables!! Then most of these vegetables go bad in my vegetable rotter - we call those vegi drawers in the fridge vegetable rotters because... well, you guess why. Before we went and visited my in-laws, I gathered all the vegetables that I had bought, zucchinis, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc, and took them all to their house. And I skewered them all and grilled them on BBQ. It was fantastic!!! Grilled vegetables make me happy. And they say they make me healthy, too!

It's SUPER easy to make them.

Skewered Vegi's

Ingredients:

3 zucchinis, sliced about 1 inch thick
1 red or green bell pepper, cut in bite size
20 brown mushrooms, stems removed
purple or/and yellow onions, cut in bite size
salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil
*Santa Maria Seasoning (You may not be able to purchase it in your area as it is a special kind of seasong that they sell around Santa Maria. If you can't find this seasoning, use garlic salt, black pepper, and italian seasoning)
*Pappy Seasoning (It's seriously one of my favorite seasonings that I use for almost everything! It's somewhat like McCormick's seasoned salt, but better!! I found it at Costco.)

In a large ziplock bag, place all the vegetables.

Drizzle about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, then shake the zipped bag until the vegetables are coated in oil. Place salt, pepper, Santa Maria seasoning, and pappy, and shake again. (Use however much seasoning you want according to your liking. Usually about a generous pinch or two of each seasoning will be enough.)

On skewers, skewer the vegetables as shown in the picture above. Grill and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. haha! I can't help but post and say how I totally relate to your "vegetable rotter" :) So funny! Every time I go grocery shopping I think, "I'm going to buy 6 squash, lots of brocolli, romaine, etc, because I'm going to make lots of veggies this week..." And then, I look in my crisper drawer and woops! I guess I forgot about all the vegetables AND all my healthy intentions!

    ReplyDelete