Monday, June 15, 2009

Rocky Road Dream Bars

Mmmm..... Just looking at the picture makes my mouth water.... Really, I am drooling all over my laptop... I made a slight change to our family's very favorite chocolate bar recipe and this wonderful, chewy, caramel filled rocky road dream bar was created. Whenever there is a special event, my husband asks me to make dream bars (it really is his favoritest thing in the world - sometimes I wonder if I come in second??) but due to its high calorie, I usually refuse. But since it was my husband's birthday (Happy Birthday, Mr. Seanjon!!), I decided to make this treat with a slight change to the recipe. Mr. Seanjon absolutely LOVED it! The marshmellows inside gave it a chewy texture and the crushed almonds on top was beyond amazing!! Oh and the caramel inside the bars.... Wow!! You have to try this for your special someone. You will have to be careful, though, because that special someone is most likely to be addicted to this treat and he/she will ask you to make it again every weekend. :)

Rocky Road Dream Bars

Ingredients:

Bars-
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk chocolate chips (or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1 cup milk chocolate - this may be better for you if you don't want it to be super sweet! Me and my husband... well, we enjoy supersweet... maybe a little too much!)
6-8 large white marshmellows, cut in half
1/3 cup whole almonds, crushed

Chocolate glaze- (double this recipe to get enough for drizzling in the end)
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Direction:

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup brown sugar and the butter. Stir in 1 cup flour. Press in ungreased rectangular pan, 13X9X2 inches. Bake 10 minutes. Space marshmallows evenly on top of the crust about 1/4 apart.

In medium bowl, mix eggs, 1 cup brown sugar and the vanilla. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, the baking powder and salt. Stir in milk chocolate chips. Spread over crust and marshmallows.

Bake bars 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. (Or toss it in the refrigerator about 30 minutes or so.)

In 1-quart saucepan, heat all Chocolate Glaze ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted. (I wouldn't leave the stove if I were you. Just be patient and stay with the chocolate mixture. It should be melted in about a minute. Oh and make sure to double the glaze recipe.)

Pour half of the glaze on top of the cooled bar evenly. (Spread the glaze evenly with a spatula if needed.) Sprinkle almonds all over the bar. Drizzle rest of the glaze over almonds. Refrigerate at least 1 hour until firm. Cut bars and store at room temperature.

Yummy!! Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. i agree with you. those look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting in Brian's apt. here in Sac with almost no food and this post is making me SOOOO hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is my kind of baking!Lucky hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary- I know! My hubby's so spoiled. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bars look so decadently good!

    ReplyDelete