Saturday, May 16, 2009

Spicy Tangerine Beef

So my mother-in-law was in town this week and I decided to show off my cooking skill (?) - well, she thinks I am an amazing cook!! - and she was quick to agree to come to our house one night for dinner (She was staying at her daughter's just two blocks down the street). I wasn't sure what to cook for her. I thought about making honey nut chicken but she is allergic to both peanut and black beans, so I vetoed the idea. Then I thought Guy Fieri's spicy tangerine beef would be an excellent choice as all of his recipes I've tried have never failed. Plus, she's always been a fan of my Korean BBQ beef, so I figured that she would love this Asian style beef dish. Well, sure enough, she LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, the endless exclamation points say it all. We all loved the dish and she has been asking me every day if I've posted the recipe on the blog yet. Well, here it is, if you're reading this post. This one is for you, mom. Maybe you should make it for dad?! :)


Spicy Tangerine Beef

Adapted from Guy Fieri's recipe

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • (optional) 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 pound flank steak or tri-tip, cut in thin strips on the bias
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry (I didn't have any so I used 1/2 tablespoon red wine)
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (I added another tablespoon of hoisin sauce since we're a big fan!)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon chili sauce (found in Asian aisle)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice (and a little more!)
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 3 scallions, chopped (I used green onions instead)
  • 1/4 tangerine, zested
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Direction:

In a resealable plastic bag combine the soy sauce and cornstarch (and cayenne if you want a little more spice) and mix well. Add beef, cover, and let marinate for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.

Whisk together the sherry, hoisin, honey, chili sauce, soy sauce, and tangerine juice until completely combined.

In large pan or wok, heat oil on high. Add the ginger and beef and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add sauce mixture and cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat until sauce thickens. Serve on warm platter, garnish with scallions, tangerine zest and sesame seeds.

Serve over rice, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment