Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fabulous Sweet and Sour Chicken Meatball


So I found a sweet and sour meatball recipe on a blog and thought, "Wow, that looks pretty good. I'm so making it tonight" So I opened the fridge and the only ground meat I found was chicken, not beef. Well, then I thought, chicken is healthier anyway. I'm trying to lose weight so chicken will be good. So I changed the original recipe a little bit. I love adding things to recipes and usually they turn out pretty good - maybe even better than the original recipes. Chicken was an excellent choice! It was tender, flavorful, and sweet! I made a little mistake, though. The recipe called for 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, but I only used a lbs and added the same amount of milk that the recipe called for. So the meat mixture was little liquidy, so it didn't form perfect balls. That's why the meatballs in the pictures look more flat. But they don't look too awful, do they? Plus, it tasted pretty dang good! My husband doesn't really like sweet and sour sauces, but he loved this one! Not too vinegary, which pleased my husband more than anything!


Sweet and Sour Chicken Meatballs

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken (You may choose to use lean ground beef)
3/4 cup quick oats
Optional 1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I didn't use onions, as you might know already, my husband hates onions)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Optional 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
Optional 1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Direction:
Combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Form into about 12-15 balls, each qbout 2 inches in diameter. Place in a casserole dish. Cover with sauce (below). Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

Sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1/4 cup barbeque sauce (Preferably, Cattlemen's bbq sauce. They are the best bbq sauce I've ever tried.)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine ingredients and blend thoroughly. Heat in a small saucepan until combined and sugar is dissolved and pour over meatballs.

** Now I baked the meatballs seperate and after the meatballs were thouroughly cooked, I cooked the meatballs on stove with the sauce. You do whatever is more convenient for you. If you like saucy meatballs, just double the sauce recipe.

Adapted from Lion House Recipes

1 comment:

  1. Chocolate Cardamom CappuccinoJuly 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM

    These are excellent despite the fact that I doubled the onion, the recipe is definately a keeper.

    ReplyDelete