Friday, March 27, 2009

Fabulous Pineapple Meatballs


Another great recipe from Blogchef - I had ground beef in the fridge and thought I'd make some tacos but then I craved something different - something sweeter as always. I had some leftover rice and tried to think of a meal that I could eat with the rice (many times, I'd end up throwing away rice that didn't get eaten the day before. And we only eat sticky rice from Korea or Japan and those are "expensive") Anyway, the bottom line is that I came across with this yummy recipe for pineapple meatballs and deided to try that tonight. It was a hit! My little baby boy ate two big balls for dinner. He's a picky baby so that tells you that this dish was not bad at all. :-)

Ingredients:

Meatballs-
2 lbs ground beef (lean)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (panko)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Sauce-
1 cup brown sugar (I went easy on brown sugar and used 1/2 cup instead just because I've been trying to eat less sugar, but you can use 1 cup, I am sure it'll be tastier.)
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1 3/4 cups pineapple juice (reserved from pineapple tidbits) (I only used about a cup)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon worestershire sauce
1 (14 oz) can pineapple tidbits

Direction:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the Meatball ingredients in a medium ball. Mix well and shape into 1" balls. Now, here's your choice. You can either brown the meatballs in a large non-stick skillet or in the oven. I personally like to cook meatballs in the oven. I've always liked the outcomes. However, if you like to cook them in a skillet, that's totally fine, too. Your call!

In a medium sauce pan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch and mix well. Then add pineapple juice, white vinegar, soy saue, and worestershire sauce, and mix well, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low, add pineapple tidbits and stir until the sauce slightly thickens. Serve with or over rice if desired.



Adapted from Blogchef

1 comment: