Monday, March 23, 2009

Fabulous Chicken Masala


I found this recipe on someone else's cooking blog the other day. My husband and I "LOVE" Indian food. Over the weekend, we were invited to an Indian wedding and had Indian food for all three meals! It was fabulous! Apparently, having Indian food all day wasn't enough for us. We decided to have Chicken Masala for dinner tonight. I did not know that making an Indian dish at home could be so easy! I will definitely try this dish again. My one-year-old baby boy was going crazy over it, too. (He loves spicy food - but it wasn't too spicy for him, obviously. So no worries, there.)

Chicken Masala

Ingredients:
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (If you don't handle the spice very well, use 1 teaspoon paprika and 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to tone down the spice.)
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine all ingredients except chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and refrigerate for one hour. Grill or cook chicken in frying pan. Discard marinade

*Masala Sauce*
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 cup cream
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

(I also added some zuccini (cut in small pieces) to the sauce since my husband and I love zuccini! You can pretty much any vegetables you like, such as carrots, squash, zuccinis, etc.)

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for one minute. Season with cumin, paprika and salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken and simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve over hot rice (preferrably Jasmine rice).



Adapted from My Kitchen Cafe

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a cooking blog! I'm excited to find out. I check your family blog all the time and love all the updates. I'm glad you've tried a few recipes from my blog (kitchen cafe) and can't wait to bookmark some of yours.

    -Melanie (Jed's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love visiting your blog! I've found a few recipes that I can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete